Keys to the Covenants
Keys to Understanding the Scriptures
2 Pet 3:1 -- I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of
the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets and of the commandment of
us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
Old vs. New Testament
This is very simple, and very simply misapplied by many in the Church. The Old Testament
contains the types and shadows which point to the fulfillment of these in the New
Testament. What is testified in the Old Testament is made visible in the New. Do not make
the mistake of some who try to use the Old Testament to explain the New when it is the
New which explains the Old. The Old Testament and most of the Gospels speak to the
flesh and soul. The New Testament beginning with the resurrection of Jesus as Savior and
Lord, speaks of and to the spirit.
Heb 1:1, 2 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the
fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath
appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
* God spoke in past times by the prophets of the Old Testament of things which would
* Today we have the visible revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ Who was and is and is to
Heb 10:1, 2 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image
of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually
make the comers thereunto perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered?
because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
* The Law is a shadow of what is to come
* The image (visible manifestation) is the fulfillment of the Law in Jesus Christ
Rom 1:1-4 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the
gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according
to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of
holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
* Promised before through the Old Testament prophets
* Shown openly in the flesh by the resurrection
Heb 8:6, 7 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is
the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that
first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
* The ministry of Jesus Christ is now
* It is a more excellent ministry
* We have a better covenant the New Covenant (Testament)
* It is established on better promises
Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which
decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
* The new covenant supercedes the old
Doctrines of Men
Col 2:16-2:22 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an
holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to
come; but the body is of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary
humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen,
vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, And not holding the Head, from which all the body by
joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the
increase of God. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world,
why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not;
handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and
doctrines of men?
* We are not to allow ourselves to cater to the dictates of men in will worship
* We are no longer subject to the Law for righteousness
* We now hold the Head of the Church, the Lord Jesus Christ. There is NO other.
* We are dead to the rudiments of the world with its concerns over soulish behavior
* We are not to follow the doctrines of men
The Power of God
Rom 1:16, 17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto
salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is
the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by
* The Gospel is the power of God
* It reveals the righteousness of God in those who are His
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of
Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of
Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be
* No justification is found in the keeping of the Law
* Our justification is by faith in Christ not by works of the Law
* No flesh is justified by the works of the Law
Christ the Fulfillment
Heb 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens,
Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
* We have our High Priest, Jesus the Son of God
* We must now hold fast our profession (of faith in Him)
Gal 2:19-21 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am
crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I
now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself
for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then
Christ is dead in vain.
* In Christ we are dead to the Law having been crucified with Him
* We gave up our old spirit and now have a new creation spirit alive with the life of Jesus
* Righteousness comes only by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ the Lamb of God on the Cross
Gal 3:10-13 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written,
Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the
law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for,
The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall
live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:
for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
* Trying to live by the Law is to live under the curse of the Law
* Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the Law (sickness, poverty and death)
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the
seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the
hand of a mediator.
* The Law was given to show us the deadliness of sin
* Jesus Christ came and died for us and completely set us free from the Law and the sin it
How We Hear
Heb 5:11,--6:3 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye
are dull of hearing. For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one
teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as
have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the
word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full
age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good
and evil. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto
perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith
toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection
of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.
* Trying to live by the provisions of the Old Testament keeps us flesh -- and sin minded
* We become dull of hearing because we hold to the dead works with which the Law
Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
* Choose this day spirit or flesh!
Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you,
doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
* God deals with us through the Spirit not through the Law
Stand Fast in Faith
Heb 10:55-57 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of
reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might
receive the promise. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not
* Stand in faith placing your confidence in Christ and His finished work
* He is coming quickly, He will not be late
Rom 5:2-5 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and
rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also:
knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience,
hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our
hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
* We have access by faith into the very Presence of our Heavenly Father
* Even in trials we stand in patient hope of His promised deliverance
* His Love is never a disappointment working in us by the Holy Spirit Who indwells and
1 Cor 16:15 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
* By the power of the Holy Spirit we can and must stand strong
Eph 6:15-17 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to
withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins
girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod
with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith,
wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the
helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Having done all, stand in the power and protection of God wielding the sword of the
Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free and be not
entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Return to the Threshing Floor Ministries Home Page
Copyright ©1996-2008 Daniel R. Milburn, All rights reserved
* Why Be born again?
* Keys to the Scriptures
* Spirit, Soul & Body Key
* Jews, Gentiles, Church Key
* Covenants Key
* Salvation Study
* Foundations in Faith
* The Atonement
* Law or Grace?
* Holy Spirit Studies
* Emotional Maturity
* What is the Threshing Floor?
* The Anointing
* Prayer Study
* Prophets in the Church
* Study on the Conscience
* The Fellowship of Believers
* Jesus' Way of Correcting People
* You Can Be Born Again
* Do You Love Me More Than These ?