Do you love me more than these?
John 20:19-22 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the
doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and
stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." When He had said this, He
showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the
Lord. So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send
you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the
* It is evening of the day of Resurrection (the first day of the week)
* "Peace be with you" - His sacrifice has made Peace between man and God.
* He demonstrates who He is
* The disciples recognize Him and rejoice
* "Receive the Holy Spirit" - This is the first instance of someone being born again
John 21:3-6 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go
with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they
caught nothing. But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the
disciples knew not that it was Jesus. Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any
meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of
the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for
the multitude of fishes.
* After 8-10 days Peter decides to go back to his old profession
* The others follow him back into the 'practical' ways of the world
* Their efforts, all night long, produce nothing
* In the morning Jesus stands on the shore with provision for breakfast
* Cast the net on the right side… [1188. dexios, dex-ee-os'; from G1209; the right side or
(fem.) hand (as that which usually takes):--right (hand, side).]
* When they obey they cannot contain the blessing
John 21:7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now
when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he
was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.
* The disciple who knows Jesus most intimately is the first to recognize Him
* Peter 'hears' that it is the Lord and rushes to Him
John 21:9-12 As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and
fish laid thereon, and bread. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now
caught. Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred
and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken. Jesus saith
unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou?
knowing that it was the Lord.
* Jesus has food prepared and waiting
* 'Bring the fish which you have now caught'.
* Peter drags the net ashore, overstuffed and unbroken
* 'Come and dine' They all know it is the Lord.
John 21:14 This is now the third time that Jesus showed himself to his disciples, after that he
was risen from the dead.
* Three times they have seen Him
John 21:15-17 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of
Jonah, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love
You." He said to him, "Feed My lambs." He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of
Jonah, do you love Me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to
him, "Tend My sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love
Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he
said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him,
"Feed My sheep.
* 'Simon, son of Jonah' is Peter's worldly name and title
* 'more than these?' - The provision of the world (the fish) and the friends who support
* Three times - spirit, soul and body must agree to serve the Lord
* Peter was grieved…'You know all things, You know that I love you'
* Feed My lambs and tend and feed My sheep…
After we come to Jesus in faith there remains the receiving of His provision and blessing. It is
always God's will to bless His children. Now we must choose between the blessing of
provision and the One Who gives the Blessing.
When our hearts are true, we will choose the One Who is the blessing!
Contact: Threshing Floor Ministries
Return to the Threshing Floor Ministries Home Page
Copyright©1996-2008 Daniel R. Milburn, All rights reserved
* Why Be born again?
* Keys to the Scriptures
* Spirit, Soul & Body Key
* Jews, Gentiles, Church Key
* Covenants Key
* Salvation Study
* Foundations in Faith
* The Atonement
* Law or Grace?
* Holy Spirit Studies
* Emotional Maturity
* What is the Threshing Floor?
* The Anointing
* Prayer Study
* Prophets in the Church
* Study on the Conscience
* The Fellowship of Believers
* Jesus' Way of Correcting People
* You Can Be Born Again
* Do You Love Me More Than These ?